Hubbard inspires Beverley in hard fought encounter.


The Blue and Golds got off to a winning start in their 2020 league campaign in a hard fought and at times feisty encounter at the Leisure Centre. Coach Tony Spence although pleased to get off to a winning start commented ” They, the opposition were a workmanlike side who kept going until the end. I am pleased we kept our discipline in the game but I feel we tried to go through them a little too much and could have let the ball do the work a little more.”
A deserved man of the match award went to Louis Hubbard whose go forward was inspirational against an opposing pack which were certainly prepared to mix it at times.
The home side got off to the best of all starts when after 5 minutes a kick on the last tackle bounced awkwardly and Lewis Miller pounced to score. Josh Poskitt tacked on the extras.
In the 10th minute, Adam Files soon replied for the visitors improved by Theo Holt.
The visitors proceeded to have more of the game for the remainder of the half, severely testing the home side’s goal line defence. However one such attack forced a line drop-out which amazingly found touch inside the Woolston 20. Possession from the resulting scrum saw Beverley fail to take advantage immediately when spilling possession early in the tackle count. But having established the field position, Joe Rose forced his way over from close range. Lewis Straw this time converted to send the hosts 12-6 up at the break.
The visitors pressed early on in the second half again asking a lot of questions. One such attacking raid 10 minutes into the half did see a mix up with ball going to ground and Lewis Miller pouncing to race 80 meters to score. Poskitt again converting  for a 18-6 lead.
Shortly after the match started to boil over a little as the visitors showed a little frustration. A succession of penalties followed one after a high shot on Lewis Miller and another later saw Josh Poskitt extend Beverley’s lead with a penalty goal. Following the sin-binning of Woolston’s Harry Files for back-chatting to the referee, Josh Poskitt extended the home advantage to 22-6.
A 68th minute try by Woolston’s Dan Griffiths gave them hope improved by Holt but they were unable to make further inroads.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *